Thursday, September 27, 2012

Backyard Wonderland (A/C BP #3)


Among the posts asked to be completed by us as a class, so far this one is my favorite. For those in the audience who have no idea what I’m talking about, my class met this past Monday in the H.O. Botanical Gardens at the Penn State Arboretum. Arboretum…that still leaves a funny feeling in my mouth, and I can never remember to say it right. Ha, so anyway, back on track. The gardens are pretty much just that. Some neat pathways take the wandering individual through an easy to navigate mismatch of gardens featuring too many plants for me to name. I guess I’ll just take you on a textual walk through of the place, practice some imagery use, that sort of thing. 

I have the fortune of basically living across the street from the Arboretum, so having class there on Monday was wonderful. I slept in a little. Loved it... I had the fortune of stumbling across the gardens before when I arrived on campus, so I knew my way around and knew it was just going to be a good experience. 

I took the more scenic route across the street and through the field. While I didn’t cross directly, there was some cut grass that marked a sort of pathway to the fountain. The fountain looks especially great at night with the lights on, the water shining and all. So anyway I went through and to my right there was bamboo and other nifty things I don’t know the names of. Fun fact our teacher shared, bamboo grows fast, so fast it can be used as means of torture. A victim placed over a rack over the bamboo shoots will eventually have the bamboo grow up through him. Yea, painful stuff…There was a pond to the left path with just about every color water lily I could imagine (blue, yellow, pink, white? I think that’s most of them). The center path then divides into an oval around the event lawn. It’s a lawn, nothing special there. The left path leads off to a sundial sculpture, sunflower field, and overhand of vines and gourds. The flowers here were particularly vibrant in color. The right path swings around to the observation deck. It’s not called that, but that’s the idea. There’s another sculpture here of Nittany Valley and its waterways. In all, it’s something that needs to be experienced rather than told about. 

I’ve visited the Arboretum a few times before. I’ve just been stressed with starting college. It happens, and I have this little sanity center across the street to help me with it. I can’t say I love it just yet (I’m too eager to see it when it’s finished), but I can say it does help bring some peace of mind. Locations like this are one reason to love nature. You’d never see it in the wild, I don’t think, the mixture of plants, but the smell of flowers was something relaxing, all of them melded together. I like nature without the bugs, basically. Maybe it was just without them because of the time of year, but that’s fine by me! It’s funny I can’t say much about it when there is so much going on. Maybe it’s because I’m sick, haha. It’s peaceful there, and that’s what I like most about it.
 
My title probably doesn't make sense besides my post being as vague as a dream. I'm thinking of the animals that I've seen running around: chipmunks, rabbits, birds, bees, and some other little thing I never got a good look at... Down the rabbit hole, I kept thinking as I walked through the Arboretum.
 
I’ll probably be over there at least a dozen more times before the semester is over, rain or shine. I want to show my mother the Arboretum when she visits. She used to have a sort of garden at home when she was a stay-at-home mom. That all changed once my brothers and I were old enough to manage ourselves when it came to school, and the garden lost its touch a little. Her work from the past has lasted though. Our backyard at home is always green, fenced in GREEN! Spring and summer bring on the array of hues from the flowers below. I don’t spend a lot of time “in nature” but when I do I always find it easy to get away from the world. Bringing others with me would be a circumstantial thing. As of now, I go for the solitude and quiet. Even with the roar not even a block away, I can escape the busy atmosphere of the campus and just breathe a little. I hope this post isn’t too disappointing, reader. It’s just something I’m having trouble putting to words. Take a visit on your own some time. You’ll understand precisely what I mean.

4 comments:

  1. Ok! I loved your descriptive paragraph about the gardens! I think that you did an amazing job capturing the idea of the Arboretum! I completely relate to you liking of it! Appearently one of the Lacrosse coaches at my highschool designed it and i had no idea!! :P Anywhooo I do love the Arboretum but yeah as you said it isnt even done being bult yet!!! They are adding more to it!! :D Which I am sure is just going to add to its beauty. You can lose yourself in the gardens but one most important factor of it to me is that it is still small and homey and quaint. The mice of flowers is peculiar yes and the mix of flowers is extremely interesting but not so strange that it doesn't feel like home. Yeah I know, this town has literally always been my home but granted it was my first visit to the gardens as well! Anyway I think you did a great job pinpointing the realistic ideas of the garden without getting too wrapped up in all the colors and flowers for show :P I think it is a calming place haha maybe as a class we should study there sometime!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan--

    "Little Sanity Center" is an amazing phrase! I'm going to steal it. :)

    So glad this brought you to memories of your mom. Hope she enjoys her visit!

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ariana, that's just neat to have that sort of network in general. Well, you went to school here too so I guess that's not totally surprising... But yes, we should most definitely have classes there more often. We just need to come up with a strong arguement about the, uhm, "inspirational" qualities of the environment.

    In regards to visiting, Mommy Yashinski loved the Arboretum. The whole time she kept saying this is just what she had always wanted (but of course my dad likes his boring, green lawn). In othter words, the Family&Friends weekend was a success (even if they were tired of walking by the end; welcome to my world mom and pop!). Good luck using that phrase though, professor. I'm not quite even sure how I made that fit!

    I should probably attend to other posts, shouldn't I? I shall. Until next time, folks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the title you gave this post! It points out the fact that we actually do have an amazing arboretum as our backyard (if you live in east). I also felt that you described the arboretum experience perfectly and vividly that it feels like being in it again!

    ReplyDelete